Song Analysis: Olivia Rodrigo – Drivers license

Summary

• This week I analyzed the song Driver’s License by Olivia Rodrigo. I choise this song because it just came out a few days ago and i’ve been listening to it on repeat

Song Analysis

TOPICMY RESPONSES
SONG TITLEDriver’s license
COMPOSER(S)Olivia Rodrigo
YEAR2021
COUNTRYUSA
If you could work on this song (change it), what would you change and why?I wouldn’t change anything. I love the song how it is. Some break up songs aren’t very relateable but since this girl is 17 she has a lot more relateable lyrics that arent cringy or for older people
What is the song GENRE?I think it’s pop im not sure
What is the song KEY?Bb Major
What is the song TEMPO?144 bpm
What do you like about the RHYTHM?I really like the beats and the piano it all goes well and fits the tone and the mood of the song.
What do you like about the ARRANGEMENT?The song as a whole is just great but I love the chorus
What do you like about the MIX?The whole song is great really but the bridge really makes it better. You think it’s good until you get to the bridge and it gets better
What do you like about the TIMBRE of some or all of the instruments?In the beginning of the music video, she’s driving in her car and it’s beeping and the beeping kind of turns into the piano to start the song. I thought that was cool
What do you like about the PITCH of some or all of the instruments or vocals?I like it. Olivia can sing high pitch really well and I think she does a good job of showing it. During the chorus and the bridge you can see she does a nice job.
Are there particular TRACK(S) that stand out?Again, I absolutely love the bridge. It’s unexpected and it changed the whole vibe of the song. The reverb and the vocal layering is so great.
Finally, what do you like about the overall COMPOSITION?I really like this song. It broke Ariana Grande’s record of most streams in a day. Olivia’s emotions are so raw in this song and she really put it all out there, a lot of people can relate to the lyrics. This song is her first single and she’s already broken so many records.

“A song is a musical composition intended to be performed by the human voice. This is often done at distinct and fixed pitches (melodies) using patterns of sound and silence. Songs contain various forms, such as those including the repetition and variation of sections.” wikipedia.org/wiki/Song